Monday, May 30, 2011

Revisionist History: Retroactive Contenders for the Best of 2010


At year-end I put together my list of the top 100 songs of 2010, culminating here. As is always the case, the clock hadn't turned to February before there were several new-to-me songs I realized I had missed that merited consideration. Below are my ten favorite songs that weren't on my list at year-end but that might make a revised list today. Certainly the top two tracks would have broken the top 40.

Top 10 Songs of 2010 that weren't on my year-end list (as of May 2011 - subject to revision!)
  1. "On Feathers and Arrows (on Burnt Pine)" / il gato / All These Slippery Things"
    "And I'll remember your life / as I change mine / and forget all your forests of evergreen /  because I'll survive / just fine / with burnt pine"
  2. "Nothing Can Kill the Grimace" / Mixtapes / Maps
    "And I'm not saying that I'm any better / but at least I do all my dumb shit at home / 'cause everyone's the same, and everyone is lame / but they can sing bad songs and dance ironically"
  3. "Trust" / Generationals / Trust EP
    " My friend / Olivia / said to me"
  4. "Right Direction" / Dirty Diamonds / Monster Ballads
    "For the first time / in a long time"
  5. "I Was a Teenage Anarchist" / Against Me! / White Crosses
    "Don't you remember? / When you were young and you wanted to set the world on fire"
  6. "Digging Holes" / Icarus Himself / Mexico
    "Terrible things that I know and I know"
  7. "Land Majestic" / Anni Rossi / Heavy Meadow
    "I am / an ant / stuck in / the cement"
  8. "Water Hymn" / Painted Palms / Canopy EP
    <no lyrics>
  9. "Kites" / Geographer / Animal Shapes
    " And my love is so quick / like the legs of my kids"
  10. "Clockwatching" / Belleruche / 270 Stories
    "Put them back in the backseat / your dues have long been paid"

No comments:

Post a Comment