Thursday, December 9, 2010

Rewind: 2005 Top Songs in Review

Welcome to the new dumping ground for my year-end music lists. As I finish the 2010 list, I thought it might make sense to do a quick review of prior years' lists, primarily to get all the lists in one place.

2005 was my first year-end song list. It only went up to 20, but not because it wasn't a great year for music. I was simply in the very early stages of an obsession. As a reminder, these lists are limited to one song per artist.

#1 then: "The Predatory Wasp..." by Sufan Stevens.

#1 now: "I'll Believe in Anything" by Wolf Parade (#4 at the time) is probably my favorite track of the last ten years, so it should top this chart. Sufjan only gets bumped down a single notch, though.

How did I miss...?: "Tables and Chairs" by Andrew Bird, "Charlemagne in Sweatpants" by The Hold Steady, "The Geese of Beverley Road" by The National, "Neverending Math Equation" by Sun Kil Moon, "Song for Dennis Brown" by The Mountain Goats", "Kissing Families" by Silversun Pickups, and a lot more




1.    "The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out To Get Us!" by Sufjan Stevens (Illinois)
2.    "Fistful of Love" by Antony and the Johnsons (I am a Bird Now)
3.    "16, Maybe Less" by Calexico & Iron and Wine (In the Reins - EP)
4.    "I'll Believe in Anything" by Wolf Parade (Apologies to the Queen Mary)
5.    "The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth" by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (Clap Your Hands Say Yeah)

6.    "Sad Eyes" by Josh Rouse (Nashville)
7.    "Heartbeats" by José González (Veneer)
8.    "This Time it Will" by Jeff Hanson (Jeff Hanson)
9.    "Gone" by Kanye West (Late Registration)
10.  "Knot Comes Loose" by My Morning Jacket (Z)

11.  "Your Ex-Lover is Dead" by Stars (Set Yourself on Fire)
12.  "Senegal Fast Food" by Amadou & Mariam (Dimanche a Bamako)
13.  "Song Beneath the Song" by Maria Taylor (11:11)
14.  "Ladyflash" by The Go! Team (Thunder, Lightning, Strike)
15.  "In the Morning" by The Coral (The Invisible Invasion)

16.  "When I'm Gone" by Eminem (Curtain Call)
17.  "Black Cab" by Jens Leckman (Oh Your So Silent Jens)
18.  "Twilight Creeps" by Crooked Fingers (Dignity and Shame)
19.  "A King and Queen" by Okkervil River (Black Sheep Boy)
20.  "Mushaboom" by Feist (Let it Die)

No comments:

Post a Comment