Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Rewind: Top Songs of 1962

(dusts off some cobwebs)

Now that the year-end list has been completed and the suitable break has been taken from the blog, we'll start up again with semi-decennial (still not a word) march to the best songs of 2012. Last year we started in 1966 because while 1961 had some all-timers ("Stand By Me", Coltrane's "My Favorite Things"), I struggled to get to 5 tracks that wouldn't be somewhat embarrassing to list. While 1962 was still a struggle, there was enough good stuff to justify a list that goes to ten.

Also, Sam Cooke was awesome.

Top 10 Songs of 1962
  1. "Bring It On Home To Me" / Sam Cooke / single
    "I tried to treat you right / but you stayed out, stayed out late at night / but I'll forgive you"
  2. "Green Onions" / Booker T. & the MGs / Green Onions
    <instrumental> 
  3. "Boom Boom" / John Lee Hooker / single
    "I'm gonna shoot you right down / right offa your feet"
  4. "These Arms of Mine" / Otis Redding / single
    "And if you / would let them hold you / oh how grateful I would be"
  5. "You've Really Got a Hold On Me" / The Miracles / The Fabulous Miracles
    "I don't like like you / but I love you"
  6. "Up On the Roof" / The Drifters / single
    "and if this world start's getting you down / there's room enough for two"
  7. "Duke of Earl" / Gene Chandler / single
    "And when I hold you / you are my duchess"
  8. "Misirlou" / Dick Dale / Surfer's Choice
    <instrumental>
  9. "Beechwood 4-5789" / The Marvelettes / single
    "...any old time"
  10. "Desafinado (Off Key)" / Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd / Jazz Samba
    <instrumental>

1962 by David Scott on Grooveshark

No comments:

Post a Comment